Do you want to know how to grow tomatoes? Well, you are most probably one of the millions of people who prefer to have really fresh ingredients right from your own backyard rather than having those tasteless thin slices from the grocery stores. There are actually several proven techniques in planting the crop and in coming up with one that bursts with flavor.
Once you follow the steps below you will see that planting this red delicious fruit is very easy.
Steps And Techniques On How To Grow Tomatoes
1. Make sure that all the danger of frost has passed before you buy the seeds to plant. You can also starting planting the seeds indoors within six to eight weeks before the expected last frost.
2. Find a location that is openly exposed to direct sunlight and that has soil with 6.0 – 7.0 pH. You need to remember that the crop needs to get ample warmth in order to taste really great so it is wise that you protect them with shelter from chilly breezes such as a vine-covered trellis.
3. The next important thing that you should do is to simply amend the soil preferably with plenty of compost and then harden off the seedlings whether they are planted at home or store-bought. When the temperature during night-time is above 50 degrees Fahrenheit you may then move the seedlings to the garden.
4. To start planting, dig a basketball-sized hole for each plant and add a handful or mashed eggshells and shovelful of compost. You may then plant them deeply and set each of them 12 to 18 inches apart.
5. Protect the plants from insects and cutworms by surrounding each of them with paper collar or covering them with floating row covers. Once the weather is already warm you may remove the covers and then install any support to help the plant mature.
6. You need to ensure that the plants get at least two inches of water once a week and nurture them by spraying seaweed extract or compost tea four times for bumper crop. Once the first flower appears a couple of weeks after transplanting you will see a fruit with a size of a golf ball.
There is a wide variety of this type of crop to choose from and you only need to find out the best conditions to help your crop develop normally. Once you have already planted the crops be very mindful about the diseases that can infect them.