There are many things that you need to consider and focus in growing grapes such as the soil slope, weather, location, spacing, pest protection and many more. Having a vineyard or a small one in the backyard can be quite difficult especially if you are aiming at good production and quality.
If you want to have an idea of how you can do it properly you may follow the steps below.
The Steps And Techniques In Growing Grapes
1. The first thing that you need to do is to simply select the type of crop that you want to plant such as if you want a table, slipskin or wine. You may also need to consider the climate and figure out which type can suit your area best.
2. Find a location that is ideal for good fruit production such as in a place with full sun and plant from nursery cuttings. It is important to know that the plant needs ample heat and if it gets partial shade it will be easily exposed to fungus disease.
3. The next thing that you should do is to ensure that you do all you can to make the existing soil loamy, loose and fast draining. This type of vine is extremely deep rooted so it is always best that you amend the soil deeper as deep as 24-36 inches.
4. Supporting the vines is essential and this is why you need to provide trellis. You need to remember that there are varieties that easily or speedily mature and that can require ample support. Trellising also allows the fruits to stay above the soil and to be protected from rotting. You can train the vines south-facing a fence or on the side of the building and you just need to make sure that the fruits are off the ground.
5. You then need to prune the vines while they are dormant. You need to remember that a one year wood normally has smooth bark and older woods really look shaggy so you need to keep the plants in control and compact by removing long runners especially during mid-season.
Once you plant the vines in great conditions such as if there’s full sun and excellent soil condition you actually don’t have to use fertilizers in order to help the plants develop normally. If your vines are infected with any disease you can stop the infestation by simply going to the local Agricultural commission.